Rosie Duffield, the newly elected Labour MP for Canterbury & Whitstable, has given early indications of being a supporter of Palestinians’ rights.
The surprise winner of the seat, who ousted Conservative Sir Julian Brazier in the 8 June election, answered five questions on Palestine and Israel during the campaign, put to the candidates by Faversham & Whitstable PSC.
Ms Duffield gave positive answers to all our questions, indicating that she would:
- support a ban on settlement produce being imported into the UK
- support an immediate lifting of Israel’s blockade of Gaza
- oppose further UK arms sales to Israel until it abides by international law
- oppose Israel dealing with child prisoners under military laws
- support making UK trade with Israel contingent upon Israel respecting human rights
Sir Julian, who took very conservative positions on social issues, nevertheless had often spoken out in defence of Palestinian rights during his time in Parliament, but in this campaign gave unclear answers to our questions.
All of the candidates’ answers can be read in full here.